Salads are super fresh and healthy, but let's be honest - they can get a little boring if you opt for standard lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber day after day. No hate, lettuce - we just need some variety, okay?!
So have you ever thought of trying out a warm salad? They feel a little more substantial and comforting - a great option for a healthy evening meal! As they're cooked in foil, they're a fab option for a vegetarian or vegan (just skip the cheese and add in some beans or lentils) BBQ, too.
With that said, we wanted to share our all-time favourite warm salad recipe with you guys. It's made with sweet potato - one of the most satisfying yet nutritious carbs out there - paired with onions, fennel and feta for some serious flavour.
We also chucked in some walnuts for some extra protein, but the Nutribuddy Nutrient Booster would also work a treat. We love sprinkling it on or into salads and smoothies for a crunchy superfood boost.
Sweet potato, Fennel & Feta Warm Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes | Serves: 2 | Vegetarian
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 red onion, chopped into chunks
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced
- 2 tbsp orange juice and some zest
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 4 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp agave or honey
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped (or 2 scoops of Nutribuddy Nutrient Booster for some crunch!)
- 100g feta cheese or another cheese of your choice, crumbled
- Fold some foil into a double layered square of approximately 30cm.
- Place the wedges, onion and fennel into the middle of the foil and mix together with the 1 tbsp of the orange juice and 1 tsp coconut oil.
- Close the foil around the vegetables into a bowl shape and scrunch the top to seal.
- Pop the foil parcels on the rack under the grill and cook for around 40 minutes mins until the potatoes have softened. You can unwrap and test with the point of a knife to double check they're cooked.
- Next, whisk together the remaining orange juice and coconut oil with the vinegar, agave, parsley, walnuts and zest.
- When the potatoes are ready, pull apart the top of the parcel and pour in the dressing with most of the feta (leave a little for the next step!). Mix it all in together - the heat will warm the cheese.
- Scatter the remaining feta on top and you're good to go! It's best to eat this straight from the foil to retain the amazing flavours.
We hope you enjoyed our go-to vegetarian warm salad recipe – it’s the perfect summer’s evening meal.
Looking for healthy, vegan meal options to fit into a busy lifestyle? Check out our products – they’re completely organic, super nutritious and great for hectic days!