Finding a super comforting meal which is both affordable and highly-nutritious is a winner in our eyes - and these potato & salmon fish cakes totally make the mark.
Eating salmon, and oily fish in general, comes with mega punch of health benefits. This affordable fish is chockablock with essential nutrients (namely omega-3 fatty acids) and can even decrease your risk factors for several diseases.
This versatile recipe could be served up for brunch, for a light lunch or as a dinner, served up with plenty of mixed greens.
Nutritious & Delicious Salmon Potato Cakes
Prep & cooking time: 30-40 minutes [require night-before prep]| Serves: 1 | Pescatarian
- 165g potatoes, peeled
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- Sea salt & ground black pepper
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 1 free-range egg
- 2 slices smoked salmon
- 1 heaped tsp soured cream
- 1 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until cooked. Drain and, when cool enough to handle, grate on the coarse side of a cheese grater, into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the spring onions, seasoning, flour and coconut oil and mix well.
3. Divide into 2 equal balls and pat into flat rounds. Leave covered in the fridge overnight.
4. Heat a frying pan over a moderate heat and add coconut oil.
5. Gently fry the potato cakes, for 2 to 3 minutes each side until light brown and heated through. Keep warm.
6. Meanwhile, soft boil the eggs for 4 minutes, making sure the yolks remain runny.
7. Put potato cakes on a plate and top with smoked salmon.
8. Shell the eggs and place on top.
9. Spoon on soured cream and sprinkle over the chives.
|Typical Nutritional Values||Per Shake|
|of which saturates (g)||8.2|
|of which sugars (g)||4.8|
|Nutrient Breakdown||Per 100g|
|Minerals & Trace Elements|
|Vitamin A (ret eq) (ug)||2.7|
|Vitamin E (mg)||0.51|
|Vitamin K 1 (ug)||5.4|
|Thiamin (B1 ) (mg)||0.15|
|Riboflavin (B2 ) (mg)||0.1|
|Niacin total(B3 ) (mg)||3.2|
|Pantothenic Acid (B5) (mg)||0.46|
|Vitamin B 6 (mg)||0.2|
|Folates (B9) Total (ug)||19.3|
|Vitamin B 12 (ug)||0.57|
|Biotin (B7) (ug)||2.1|
|Vitamin C (mg)||6.9|