Celery? In a smoothie? Yes, you heard right!
Okay, so unless you’re the king or queen of health, celery might not be your first choice of flavour. Admittedly, it has a very distinctive taste and can easily overpower smoothies if you don’t get the balance just right.
But with the savvy addition of zesty lemon and ginger, as well as some cucumber for a burst of freshness, you’ll be pleased to hear that this celery smoothie actually tastes pretty damn amazing.
This recipe comes on behalf of our super talented nutritionist, Kelly (the genius behind our much-loved Shake Complete). She shared the recipe on her Instagram:
“Delicious morning smoothie 💚 Smoothies have been my saviours over the last 3 months especially. I can’t quite believe it has taken so long to do systematic review searches – 10,500 papers down to 50! Feels amazing but seriously tested my limits 🙈 Needed every coping strategy, so I have developed this seriously nourishing smoothie recipe! 🌱🦋”
Celery Nutrition & Health Benefits
You’ve probably seen celery juice popping up all over Instagram recently. Chugging down a litre of liquid celery isn’t exactly the most appetising of #instahealth trends, but its surge in popularity is actually very well-deserved.
Celery boasts an amazing list of health benefits:
- It can help you maintain a healthy weight. One stick of the good stuff contains just 10 calories but is packed with dietary fibre, helping you to feel fuller for longer and curb those cravings.
- Boasting beta carotene, vitamins A, K and C, as well as minerals such as folate and potassium, celery is a nutrient-powerhouse.
- Due to its phytonutrient antioxidant content, celery is highly anti-inflammatory. Chronic inflammation is closely linked to the development of countless illnesses and diseases, so regularly consuming celery is a great preventative measure.
- Celery is 95% water, so it can even help you boost your hydration levels.
And we could go on and on. Basically, celery makes an amazing, health-boosting addition to your diet – so if you don’t like the taste of it alone, this refreshing celery smoothie is the one for you!
Let’s get stuck in.
Kelly’s Nourishing Celery Smoothie Recipe
Prep time: 5 mins | Makes: 1 | Vegan
- 3 celery sticks
- 10 slices cucumber
- 1-inch fresh ginger (or 1 tsp ground)
- 1-inch turmeric root (or 1 tsp ground)
- Half a lemon, squeezed
- 1 tsp wheatgrass
- 1 scoop Nutribuddy Shake Complete (optional)
- 1 tbsp Nutribuddy Nutrient Booster (optional)
- Chop, wash and prep all your ingredients.
- Add all the ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth.
So, there we have it! This celery-packed yet delicious (take that, celery haters) celery smoothie recipe will have your taste buds tingling and your immune system jumping for joy. Whip it up on the regular for your breakfast (add some vegan protein powder to make it a little more filling), as a mid-morning pick me up or an afternoon energy boost – regular celery intake sorted.
Once you’ve finished slurping your celery smoothie, why not have a browse more delicious smoothie recipes, follow us on Instagram or have a cheeky peek at our fabulous range of natural, nutritious vegan shakes?