If you're looking for a weekend brunch which will suit just about everyone and is just as healthy as it is delicious, this cannellini beans on toast recipe will hit the spot.
Cannellini beans, also known as haricot beans, are the same legume you'll find in standard canned baked beans in the supermarket. They have a lovely, nutty taste and are packed with protein and fibre - with virtually no fat to their name.
Us Brits love a good portion of beans on toast, but making hem at home for a family brunch allows you to add some brilliant flavours and make the dish extra nutritious. It's super versatile too - if you have a vegan in the family, skip the eggs. If someone is gluten-intolerant, just skip the toast. Easy peasy!
Oh, and if it doesn't sound good enough already, you can pick up a can of cannellini beans for under 50p.
So, let's get stuck into this delicious eggs and cannelini beans on toast brunch recipe:
Cannellini Beans & Eggs on Toast | Healthy Brunch Recipe
Prep & cooking time: 10 minutes | Serves: 1 | Vegetarian [or vegan, without eggs]
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 sprigs fresh basil, teared
- 200g cannellini beans
- 1 pinch of fennel seeds
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 slice seeded wholemeal bread
- Balsamic vinegar, optional
- Hot chilli sauce, optional
1. Place tomatoes in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice, oil and a pinch of sea salt. Toss in most of the basil leaves, then leave aside to macerate for a few minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place a frying pan on a high heat. Drain the beans and put into the hot pan with the fennel seeds and a pinch of black pepper. Leave for 5 minutes, shaking occasionally – you want them to char and pop open.
3. Pour the macerated tomatoes into the pan with 100ml of water, season, then leave to bubble vigorously for 1 min.
4. Crack in an egg on each side, then cover, reduce to a medium-low heat and slow-cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until eggs are soft. Meanwhile, toast the bread.
5. Spread butter on the toast if you want to, then serve on the side of the baked eggs in beans.
6. Sprinkle the reserved basil over the top. If you want a little bit more kick, drizzle balsamic vinegar and hot chilli sauce over the beans.
Healthy brunch on a budget? This flavoursome cannellini beans on toast recipe has you covered.
Don't forget to follow us on Instagram for more recipes, tips, tricks and updates from the Nutribuddy team.